Skip navigation

Protect Your Home from a Carbon Monoxide Leak

Carbon monoxide is one of the most dangerous substances that can be found in a home. And it comes from some of the appliances you use every day! Your gas stove, dryer, and heater can all produce carbon monoxide, but there should be a ventilation system in place to keep it out of your living area.

The furnace runs on and off throughout the day, and it’s key that you keep this part of your home well-maintained, so that you don’t have to worry about a potential leak. Learn more about how to safeguard your home below.

Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors in the Home

Along with smoke detectors, you should have carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home. Carbon monoxide detectors alert you when there is a carbon monoxide leak in the house, which is important.

Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. You most likely will not be able to detect this gas on your own if it enters the space in your home. And, unfortunately, hundreds of people die per year of carbon monoxide poisoning per year.

Protect Your Furnace

Carbon monoxide can enter a living space when the ventilation system on a gas appliance is not working properly. Here’s how to prevent your furnace—the gas appliance you likely use the most—from leaking carbon monoxide into your home.

  • Schedule inspections each year. Every year, you should have professional technicians inspect and maintain your heating equipment. Your furnace will run more smoothly after a tune-up. More importantly, technicians check for any potential carbon monoxide leaks.
  • Never schedule service with unqualified technicians. If you need new installation or repairs for your heating equipment, only trust trained and qualified HVAC technicians to do the work, as they can quickly identify potential leaks.
  • Call for repair as soon as you notice a problem. If you think there might be a problem with the way your heating system works, call a technician right away. You never know if a system shutting on and off or failing to heat your home is indicative of a leak.

Contact Bartels Heating & Cooling for all of your heating needs in Hamilton, OH, or for more helpful advice.

Comments are closed.